Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The last time I saw . . .

the fellas was Sunday.

Hey There!
Come on up.
How are you?
You hurt your back?
OK, I won’t hug you too tight then.
And you? You’re doing OK?

Come on in.
It’s been a while.
Yeah, I’m fine, just working and . . .
You too?

Right.
It’s been almost a year.

He fretted about the first birdhouse he built, and put on top of that 7 foot post in the yard, because no birds were using it. Well, the other week when I was sitting outside, two small birds were flying in and out of his bird house. So I know he’s happy now.

You know, we were just lovers for 2 years.
He would just call and say “You want some company?”
I didn’t really know him, so I just thought I was going to have some in-house loving for a while, but things morphed into a 5-year struggle.

I tried talking to him but . . . it was my life too.
Yeah, I know you talked almost every day.
I’m sure his mother’s breakdowns had an affect on him.
You didn’t know about his mother?
Wow.
He was just too far gone.

Obviously I’m still processing the whole experience.

Oh sure.
It’s getting late.
I’m so glad you came by.

Yeah, we all miss him.
Be safe.
I’ll be in touch.

(I don’t really miss him . . . do I?)


Saundra

2 comments:

Cindy Cornell said...

I really liked the use of snatches of dialog to tell this compelling story of loss.

smartz said...

A powerful voice. I liked the unsettledness of the final line.